The National Service Scheme has been functioning with the motto “NOT ME BUT YOU” in view of making the youth inspired in service of the people and hence NSS aims Education through Community Service and Community Service through Education.
- Understand the community in which they work
- Understand themselves in relation to their community
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems
- Develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- Practice national integration and social harmony
Programmes: The NSS has two types of programmes viz
- Regular Activities
- Special Campaigning Progamme
Under the “Regular Activities” students are expected to work as volunteers for a continuous period of two years, rendering community service for a minimum of 120 hours per annum(i, e 240 hours over 2 year period). Under Special Camping Programme, a camp of 7 days duration is conducted every year in the adopted area on a specific theme. Each student is required to participate in at least one Special Camp over 2 year period.
NATURE OF ACTIVITIES UNDER NSS
- NEducation: Adult literacy, pre-school education, continuing education of education school drop-outs, legal literacy , consumer awareness, programmes on eradication of social evils, etc
- NHealth, Family Welfare and Nutrition: Immunization, Blood donation, health education, AIDS awareness, population education and family welfare programmes, working with people in nutrition programme, provision of safe drinking water, life skill education,etc.
- NEnvironment Conservation: Plantation of trees and preservation/ upkeep, cleaning and maintenance of streets drains etc., construction of sanitary latrines, watershed management, soil conservation etc.
- NSocial Service Programmes: work in hospitals, institutions for disabled persons, orphanages, old age homes, Women welfare institutions etc.
- NProgrammes for improving Status of women: Awareness generation regarding women’s rights, creating awareness among women regarding how they can contribute to the social and economic well-being of the community, imparting skill training to women wherever possible.
- NProduction-oriented Programmes: working with people and teaching them about improved agricultural practices, soil testing, repair of agricultural machinery, assistance and guidance in animal resource development, promoting small savings, assistance in procuring bank loans.
- NRelief and Rehabilitation during Natural Calamities: Assisting and working with local authorities in rescue and relief operation, in distribution of rations, medicines, clothing, immunization and inoculation etc.
NSS PROGRAMME OFFICER
Dr. K. Durga Prasad